All too often, people avoid the dentist. The reasons for this avoidance vary but generally are oriented toward a dislike or phobia of the dentist’s office and dental procedures. Reasons patients seek sedation dentistry include:
- Past traumatic dental experience
- Sensitivity to the sounds, sights and smells of the dentist’s office
- Neck, back and shoulder pain caused by sitting in the dentist’s chair
- Sensitivity is not adequately numbed with local and topical anesthetics
- Feelings of anxiety caused by time spent sitting still in the dentist’s chair
If you do not see the dentist every 6 months for a teeth cleaning, or if you go to your cleanings but cancel follow-up procedures, you may benefit from sedation dentistry. Sedation comes in the form of pills that you will take once you arrive at the dentist’s office.
If you live in the areas of Bergenfield, Dumont or Haworth, New Jersey, and are interested in sedation dentistry, please contact experienced sedation dentist Dr. Howard Perlmutter to schedule a consultation.