Choosing a dentist to care for you and your family can be a daunting task. There are many dental practices in the Northern New Jersey area offering a full array of services. Often, it may be difficult to differentiate between them.
However, no two dentists are exactly alike, and by doing the proper research, it is possible to find the right practice to accommodate all of your dental needs. It is important to choose a dentist with whom you feel comfortable. By asking the right questions, you will be able to discern the subtle differences between local dentists and find the ideal fit for your family dentistry needs.
Referrals from friends or family members who have had a positive experience with a dentist can be an excellent way to begin your search. If you are able to talk with a patient of the dentist you are considering, he or she may be able to offer you valuable insights into the type of care and treatment you will receive.
However, often dentists referred to you by friends or family may not accept your insurance plan, requiring you to continue your search. Websites and other digital media materials often provide excellent information about a dental practice, helping you decide whether it may be the right fit for your family. Viewing before and after galleries can provide insight into the quality of a dentist’s work.
Questions to Ask your Dentist
Attending an initial consultation with a dentist is an excellent way to get a feel for the practice and ask any questions you may have regarding the dentist’s skills, background, and experience. If you are choosing a new dentist, you can ask him some of the following questions to help determine whether he is right for you:
- What is your educational background, and do you regularly attend continuing education courses?
- Do you perform a thorough oral exam before beginning any treatment plans?
- Are your treatment plans personalized for your patients, or do you usually recommend the same treatment for most people?
- Will you educate me if I am unfamiliar with a procedure or a procedure’s value to my personal oral health?
- What dentistry procedures do you perform?
- Are there any procedures for which you will refer me to a specialist, or do you perform all parts of treatment within your office?
- When I come in for an appointment, will I see the dentist every time, or will I be entrusted to a hygienist or dental assistant?
- What kind of financing options do you offer?
If you would like to learn more about Oradell Family Dental or schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Perlmutter, please contact our cosmetic dentist today. We serve patients throughout Oradell, Dumont, and Bergenfield, New Jersey.