Patients in Bergenfield look to our experienced dentist for advice on good oral hygiene. Of course, good oral hygiene is the most important step in having a healthy mouth and avoiding problems like gum disease, and tooth loss. Good oral hygiene also plays an important role in preventing serious health issues such as infection, heart disease, stroke, and more.
Visiting your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and examinations is a critical part of maintaining optimal oral hygiene because there are just some things you can’t accomplish at home.
Along with regular general dentistry check-ups and treatments though, having good at-home oral hygiene is still one of the most important things you can do to stay healthy and keep your smile looking its best. Good oral hygiene requires:
- Proper brushing using a soft bristled toothbrush
- Regular flossing to clean between teeth
- Using a tongue scraper to reduce bacterial load in the mouth
- Avoiding all tobacco products that can lead to discoloration and cancer
- Limiting highly acidic and sugary foods and drinks that can feed bacteria and damage enamel
- Good nutrition to support overall wellbeing and provide the vitamins and minerals your teeth need
At Oradell Family Dental, we are dedicated to helping you develop great oral hygiene habits so you can maintain the health of your entire mouth. To schedule a check-up with an experienced Bergenfield dentist, call our office at (201) 384-9292 today.